Have you noticed a new stain on your ceiling? A funny smell when you walk into your basement? These could be indications that your home has water damage! Here are a few tips to help you determine if a water intrusion is affecting your home:
1. Water stains: Whether you are purchasing a new home or water stains appear in your current residence, water stains are not to be ignored. If there is no clear indication where the water is coming from, hire an expert to inspect your home and find the source of intrusion.
2. Musty smells: Have you noticed a change in odor in your home? Perhaps it smells damp, moldy, or musty. These can all be indications that your home is experiencing water damage; perhaps somewhere you don’t spend as much time like the attic or basement. Examine these often ignored areas thoroughly and call in a professional if the source cannot be found. If left unattended, the cause of the odor could cause costly damage.
3. Warped walls and floors: Water damage can cause wood to swell, resulting in buckling and bulging floors or walls. The longer the moisture sits in these spaces, the more extensive the damage can be. If you notice these changes in your home, address it immediately.
4. Inspect your pipes: Catching water damage before it starts can save you a lot of time and money. Check the pipes in your home for signs of leaking, corrosion or damage. Inspect caulking around sinks and bathtubs for signs of erosion. Inspect the water heater, making sure there are no signs of moisture or damage.
5. Check the exterior of your home: Proper flashing, a well maintained roof, and correct run off from your home can help to prevent water damage. Check that your shingles are not cracked or missing and flashing is intact. Should you notice standing water outside your home you may need to asses run off and have the issue addressed.
Our hope is that you never have to call us for an issue with water damage! By knowing the indications of potential water damage to your home and how to respond, you can reduce your chances of unexpected home repair costs. Should you experience water damage to you home though, Kennedy Restoration can provide you with the knowledge and experience to make sure the issue is properly addressed.