All About Mold

The majority of us spend most of our time indoors. Even during this wonderful weather, many people will only be able to enjoy it for a few hours after work and on the weekends. Living in the northwest means accepting that mold will eventually permeate these indoor spaces.  Mold prevention and extraction is extremely important to everyone’s health!

 Mold can take root and propagate in areas of high humidity.  Though an area may not seem damp to the touch, undetected moisture can provide the perfect habitat for mold to spread.  In order to grow mold needs both a food and a water source, which can both in found in these high humidity areas.   

 When inhaled, the body may ignore these mold spores and remain unaffected.  For others, however, mold may cause an allergic reaction, most commonly resulting in upper respiratory distress.  Those with asthma may also experience a heightened reaction to the inhalation of mold spores, causing shortness of breath, coughing, wheezing, or a potential asthma attack.  Prolonged exposures to mold spores also have the potential to cause respiratory infections.

 Mold exposure may also cause far more serious health risks.  When the body takes on large amounts of mold spores, either through inhalation or ingestion, the results can be very dangerous.  Mycotoxicosis is the end result of prolonged exposure to mycotoxins produced by mold spores.  Extended contact with mold can lead to chronic inflammation resulting in a variety of symptoms.  These symptoms vary depending upon the type of mycotoxin, duration of exposure and pre-existing health conditions.

While mold exposure can potentially be dangerous for anyone, there are specific groups of people who are most likely to be affected by it.  Children under the age of one, the elderly, pregnant women and those with pre-existing lung conditions are more commonly agitated by mold spores. Special caution should be taken to reduce the risk of exposure with these populations. 

 Kennedy restoration provides mold remediation services with the precision, knowledge and extensive experience to keep you and your family safe from the potentially harmful effects of mold.  

 If you suspect mold growth in your house or workplace, it is important to contact a professional to address the issue.  Using household spray cleaners such as bleach on mold can actually exacerbate the issue.  The mold feels as though it is being attacked and fights back, releasing mycotoxins into the air and spreading spores, which are the seeds for new growth.  A qualified person such as an industrial hygienist or indoor environmental professional is the only certified person who can act as a 3rd party and help you to detect mold that is not visible with the naked eye.  Kennedy Restoration can do a visual mold assessment but we do not do mold testing.  Mold assessment, done by a certified 3rd party, can assist in identifying the species of mold and the extent of the mold hazard in a structure. This is commonly done via air sample testing, tape lift testing and visual inspection.  The hygienist can send samples to labs to be processed and then provide a written protocol for the remediator to follow. 

 As always, Kennedy Restoration is here to help should you discover a mold issue in your home that requires remediation.